Friday, September 9, 2011

The Gods Must Be Crazy.

I don't know how the month of September has started for you all, but for me it has been anything but normal! I started Labor Day weekend off with a terrible case of the stomach flu, the worst I've had since junior high! I was bed ridden for 5 days! Awful.

On Wednesday I did decided I felt good enough to get out of bed, and headed to my local Walmart, (Im obsessed, I cant help it. Their prices are fabulous) only this day I decided I wanted to go to the San Clemente one (because it's cleaner and more organized then the closer one in Laguna Hills.) On my way there I was stuck in traffic for over a half an hour. At first I thought it was a bad accident, but when I saw every Southern California news team, the SWAT team and Marine Guards from Camp Pendelton, a Marine base located along the coast of Southern California, I realized it was a bit more serious.

Apparently a Marine Medic went AWOL and there were plans to bomb the San Clemente High School found in his barracks! Obviously the school had to be evacuated and searched. Thank goodness no trace of bombs were found, however the Marine Medic is still missing AND this put a damper on my Walmart adventure.

These all seemed to be very strange happenings, on top of some apartment problems I've been having with my new place.

But none were as weird as the power outage that happened yesterday afternoon and lasted until after 11:00 pm last night. For all the SoCal blogettes out there you know how crazy it was, but for those bloggers out of state, let me fill you in. I have never seen anything like it in all my life. It seemed the whole world was black and in utter chaos! Because we have recently moved in to our new place and because I've had the flu all week we didn't have much in our refrigerator and anything we did have needed to be cooked. Because there was no electricity this was impossible, so my brother and I headed out on the crazy dark streets in search of food. (I'd like to point out here that I being from the NorthWest, we are used to bad weather and power outages so it is completely normal for malls, restaurants and grocery stores to run on generators. I thought this was normal. It is not.) Obviously California has very few power outages or bad weather storms so there is no need to run on generators. It took my brother and I two hours to find a store that was open, so when we did we bought only the essentials. Ice, beer, hot dogs and candy. It took us 45 minutes to get home because all traffic lights were out- we passed six accidents and I witnessed two of them. Gas stations that were working had waiting lines down the street and there was a panic in the dark air. I actually believe it was the first time I've ever been able to see the stars down here. Naturally when we got home we put the beer on ice and I lit every candle we had in the house (being an interior designer, it was a lot.)

As disastrous as it seemed before, it was really quite nice. We actually roasted hot dogs over candlelight (it does work) and we played maybe 4 card games before the power came back on and we were able to catch the encore of Jersey Shore at 11:00. I do realize that there are parts of the world that live without electricity, and the poor people that went through both hurricane Katrina and Irene had to live with no power for much longer on top of having to put their homes and cities back together, to all of you, I bow down, I am not worthy, because seven hours was long enough. Not having power really makes you appreciate when you do have it!



These are some images I found on Google documenting the SoCal power outage. We weren't the only one's hit either! Parts of Arizona and Mexico were hit as well and there wasn't really a reason for it. The Gods must just be crazy!

Hopefully this strange slew of events this September was just a fluke and the world is ready to go back to normal because I don't think I can take any more surprises for a while!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment