Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What am I loving Wednesday? Betsey Johnson of Course!

I'm sure you all know that Mercedes Benz fashion week is going on right now, and as much as I love all the designers, there is one in particular that stands out the most! Betsey Johnson! I have to admit, I am a little bias. I was lucky enough to work for her as a design intern and temporary personal assistant at her New York showroom in 2007. Working there and moving to The Big Apple was one of the greatest adventures of my life and looking back on it, I didn't realize how fortunate I was to have such an amazing opportunity. That story I've been meaning to write about, but will save for another time. Lets get back on track to what's really important right now, FASHION!

New York designer Betsey Johnson has built her long-standing career in fashion by following her own set of rules. Known for her celebration of the exuberant, the embellished, and the over the top, she has been rocking the fashion industry with her unique and original designs since the 1960’s. Her commitment to remain true to her one-of-a-kind vision has afforded Betsey continued success in an industry known for its fickleness. Her ability to change with the times while keeping her designs pure has not gone unnoticed. At the 1999 CFDA Awards, Betsey was presented The Timeless Talent  Award created especially for her, which recognized her influence on fashion throughout her career.

So yesterday was Betsey's day to show off her Spring 2012 collection and after checking out all her adorable designs I was nothing short of amazed. She definitely didn't disappoint! Take a look for yourself. These are a few of my favorites.








(Side Note: How freaking fabulous are those pantyhose? LOVE!)

What did I tell you? Super cute huh? Sometimes her clothes are a little off the wall (even for me) but these garbs are pure perfection. Looking through the slides made me nostalgic for when I worked at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week for the BJ Spring 2008 "Prom Queen" themed show. SO much so I dug up some pictures from my photo library for you all to look at.

These are the other Design Interns I worked with working hard to put together the invites for the show!

This is what the back side of the Invitation looked like (The front side pic I had was very blurry. Sorry!)

Here I am spray painting the center pieces for the VIP section tables of the show on Betsey's 5th Avenue Loft Penthouse apartment roof. Yes, you read that right. I was on her roof! I have pictures of her whole house that I plan on posting soon! So stay tuned!

That headband she's wearing... I made that!

I love this polka dot number. And how cute are those little socks?

I helped sew on those booty ruffles!

It's hard to see but those sunglasses were glittered. Lovingly sprinkled by a bunch of us interns!

This was one of I really like!

But this one was by far my favorite! Wouldn't you just die to wear this dress to prom?! Shoot. I'd wear it to the grocery store! So pretty!

And of course Betsey steals her own show every time by cart wheeling at the end! Even at 69 she still did it for yesterdays show! Betsey, you're the best!

As one journalist recently put it, "if Betsey Johnson didn't exist, we would have to invent her, simply to remind ourselves that fashion can be fun. She's the original wild child and she is set to paint the town pink!" 

Happy Hump Day Senoritas!
Photobucket




No comments:

Post a Comment