Monday, December 12, 2011

Good ol' Home Cookin'

Lately I have been in a baking mood. It could be the fact that I am on my period. TMI. sorry. Perhaps it's because I'm in the holiday spirit!... It has been cold and rainy here in Orange County, having comfort food around is, well,  comforting! Or maybe it's because I just really like cookin' and being in the kitchen!

Along with the peppermint bark, oatmeal raisin cookies, sugar cookies, gingerbread and Grandma's chocolate peanut butter bars I've also decided to make homemade turkey noodle soup.

After Thanksgiving I knew I wanted to make homemade turkey noodle soup, so I saved the little turkey body and some big hunks of meat and put them in the freezer to save until I had the time (and energy) to make my soup. Yesterday I decided was the day. AND it was Super easy!

See?
(Biscuits courtesy of Pillsbury in a can. Classy and delicious!)

Here is what you need:

Broth:
  • 1 turkey carcass, all meat removed
  • 9 cups water
  • 1 onion, halved
  • 8 baby carrots or 1 carrot cut in half
  • 1 whole stalk celery
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 tsp. of chicken or turkey "Better Than Bouillon" or 2 chicken bouillon cubes

For the soup:
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 medium onion, minced
  • 2 carrots, peeled and minced or equal amount baby carrots
  • 1 stalk celery, minced
  • 1 (16 oz) pkg, "Grandma’s Fresh Frozen Homemade Style wide egg noodles" or 8 oz. of uncooked pasta
  • 2 cups shredded or cubed turkey
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • fresh parsley, optional
1.  To make the  broth: Place all ingredients in a large stock pot except for bouillon.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.  Remove turkey carcass from pot and discard.  Strain both with a colander into another stock pot.  Discard remains in colander.  Mix in bouillon into broth until dissolved.
2.  Make the Soup: In stock pot the broth cooked in, melt butter.  Add minced onion, carrot, and celery.  Cook over medium heat until onions are translucent.
Add onion mixture to stock pot and bring to a boil.  Thaw noodles according to pkg directions.  Add pasta and boil for time required on package. Add turkey and simmer for a couple minutes just to warm turkey.  Ladle into bowls and top each serving with a little fresh parsley if desired.

Voila! Delicious homemade soup for 

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment